Bilateral Dialogue Between USI And CIISS At Beijing : 10-13 September 2013
A Brief Report
1. A four member delegation comprising the following visited China for its annual bilateral dialogue with China Institute for International Strategic Studies (CIISS) in Beijing from 09-14 Sep 2013 :-
(a) Major General PJS Sandhu (Retd), Deputy Director & Editor – Leader.
(b) Air Marshal KK Nohwar, PVSM,VM (Retd)
(c) Commodore Sujeet Samaddar, NM (Retd).
(d) Dr Roshan Khaniejo.
2. USI and CIISS have been holding bilateral dialogue since 1992. The outline programme of the visit was as under :-
(a) Discussion at CIISS on 10 Sep 2013.
(b) Cultural visit to Xia’an (capital city of Shaanxi Province) on 11-12 Sep 2013.
(c) Meeting with Admiral Sun Jianguo, Deputy Chief of the General Staff, PLA and Chairman, CIISS, on 13 Sep 2013.
(d) Discussion at the China Institute of Contemporary International Relations (CICIR) on 13 Sep 2013.
Highlights of the Visit
3. The following subjects were discussed :-
(i) Space and Cyber Security.
(ii) Maritime Security.
(iii) Nuclear Terrorism and CBMs.
(iv) Sino-Indian Relations – The Way Forward
(v) Proposals for Joint collaboration between USI and CIISS.
Meeting with Admiral Sun Jianguo, Deputy Chief of General Staff, PLA and Chairman, CIISS
4. The delegation called on Admiral Sun Jianguo and the meeting lasted for about 1 h and 10 min. The Admiral highlighted the importance given by them to Sino-Indian relations. He cited that the first country that the Chinese Premier visited after taking over was India. He stressed that small problems should be set aside so as to pay attention to major issues like trade and economic development. He was appreciative of the contributions made by the USI towards developing better understanding and relations between the two countries.
5. Maj Gen Sandhu in his response mentioned that there was a need to talk to each other in a free and frank manner to remove any mistrust. At the strategic level, it was important to keep in mind the core interests of each other, as also to evolve a system of clear signaling to avoid misperceptions during crisis / confrontations / stand offs. He thanked the Admiral for his keen interested in the bilateral dialogue and invited him to give a talk at the USI when he visits Delhi next.
Visit to CICIR
6. The following issues were discussed :-
(a) The US rebalancing to Asia-Pacific.
(b) Stabilisation of Afghanistan post 2014.
7. On the US pivot to the Asia-Pacific, they felt that some of China’s neighbours have moved away from China due to increased US presence and pressure. However, US needs China to solve economic and security problems in Asia.
8. They felt that India will maintain its strategic autonomy and would not become a part of the US design and hence it is not much of a concern.
9. The delegation was received with warmth and extended all courtesies and hospitality. The discussions were free and frank and held in a cordial atmosphere. The Chinese attach great importance to their relations with India and would like these to be stable and based on cooperation rather than confrontation.
10. The next bilateral dialogue will be hosted by the USI at New Delhi in 2014.
Photographs from USI Delegation Visit to China : 09-14 Sep 2013
Major General PJS Sandhu (Retd), DD&E, Leader of the USI Delegation being received by Admiral Sun Jianguo,
USI Delegation with Admiral Sun Jianguo and Staff from Left to Right : Dr Roshan, Cmde Samaddar,
|Meeting with Admiral Sun Jianguo in progress|
|Major General Sandhu presenting USI Memento to Admiral Sun Jianguo|
USI is conducting a series of webinars on the UN themes in collaboration with ICWA Since 2021, for the cross-fertilization of ideas and generating policy recommendations for reforms and restructuring …
Soldiers/Sailors/Airmen sacrifice their lives & limbs for many reasons, like national, regimental and unit pride; high level of motivation; courage; call of duty; and above all the understanding that …
Talk by Maj Navdeep Singh, Author and Legal Luminary Need for Formulating a ‘War Disabled Persons Special Disability (WDPSD’s) Act’ for War Disabled Personnel and its Important Components.
The 38th USI National Security Lecture was delivered by Lt Gen Raj Shukla, PVSM, YSM, SM, ADC on Wednesday, 13 April 2022 at 1100 h (IST) at the United Service Institution of India. 37th National Se…
A talk on 'Is The New Cold War a Myth or Reality'? by Mr Atul Singh, Founder, CEO & Editor-in-Chief Fair Observer, USA scheduled at the USI, New Delhi on Wednesday, 23 Feb 2022 from 1100 to 1300 H (I…
Along with the decline in inter-state conflicts and a sharp increase in intra-state conflicts in the last two decades, there is a consequent increase in the casualties to innocent civilians. Taking no…
USI is conducting a panel discussion on the ‘National Security Policy of Pakistan (NSPP) 2022-2026’ on 07 Feb 2022 from 1100 h to 1300 h.
UNITED SERVICE INSTITUTION OF INDIA- CENTRE FOR MILITARY HISTORY AND CONFLICT STUDIES organising a webinar on “FRONTLINE COMMANDER: The Military Biography of the Late Lt Gen Jaswant Singh, PVSM, AVSM”…
Shri Maroof Raza, a well know commentator on strategic security and military issues will deliver the lecture on 24 Nov 2021 at 1100 hrs at the USI. The focus of the talk will be the geo-strategic as w…
Shri VK Gaur and Lt Col BB Singh with Dr Sanjeev Chopra (based on VK Gaur’s book Yoon Janma Bangladesh) Chair: LS Bajpai
Sandeep Unnithan in conversation with Admiral Anup Singh - Valley of Words 2021.
Sqn Ldr Rana Chinna in conversation with Sqn Ldr Pushp Vaid, VrC
AVM Manmohan Bahadur in conversation with Jagan Mohan (Unheralded operations by Vampires, 'Texan' Harvard, Canberras and An-12)
Narration of stories of valour by Maroof Raza. Maroof Raza talks of forthcoming book The Contested Lands (India-China border dispute) - Valley of Words 2021
Ambassador Asoke Mukerji and Maj Gen Dhruv Katoch Moderator: Lt Gen JS Lidder original video can be accessed from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_j4zEnQmFw&list=PLwxh3VL-4b6uFk1wf_EdXamume8-cLXot&…
Shri Iqbal Malhotra in conversation with Lt Gen Nirbhay Sharma and Maj Gen Ian Cardozo - Valley of Words 2021
Lt Gen PJS Pannu in conversation with Christine Fair and Ambassador Pinak Ranjan Chakravarty
Lt Gen PJS Pannu and Maroof Raza in conversation with Shri JP Dutta (producer, director, filmmaker) and Nomination of Bollywood film Border on 1971 War. Original video can be accessed from: https://w…
Lt Gen PJS Pannu in conversation with Sir Mark Tully, Subroto Chattopadhyay and Vishnu Shankar (Editor, TV9 Network) Original video can be accessed from :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfGmfJvWmo8&li…
The United Service Institution of India (USI) and Fair Observer present a panel discussion on the evolving geopolitics of the Indo-Pacific region. Lately, the AUKUS Deal has added another twist to th…
STRIVE a Lucknow based National and Defence Security Studies Centre organised a Webinar in collaboration with Military Literature Festival, Lucknow on a highly sensitive and contemporary issue the “B…
In this episode Major General BK Sharma (Director - United Service Institution of India) and Lt. General Asad Durrani (Former Director General ISI, Pakistan talks with Analyst Arvind Saharan on Indi…
Over the past few decades, inter-state conflicts waned but there has been an increase in Intra-state conflicts. In any conflict, the innocent civilians are the ones who suffer the most. But the suffer…
Valedictory Address by CDS General Bipin Rawat PVSM UYSM AVSM YSM SM VSM ADC The original video of the event can be accessed on the VoW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF2clqxX_j8&…